Register for Classes
Registration is more than adding or dropping classes: it's a process that takes preparation as well as follow-through in order to make sure that you get best schedule possible with the least amount of trouble. With that in mind, review the process as outlined below.
Before Registration Opens
Check the appropriate semester Dates & Deadlines calendar to determine registration and term dates, and your first day to register.
UofM students should login to the myMemphis portal and search the semester's class offerings using the Look Up Classes feature. Consider using the Schedule Builder tool to plan and build your course schedule. Class offerings are available online, usually one month before registration opens.
If you are not an admitted student, use the Class Schedule Search (Dynamic Schedule). Class offerings are available online, usually one month before registration opens.
Go to your Account$ tab in the myMemphis portal to review and accept your financial aid awards.
Check your Registration Status screen in the portal (Student page). Look in particular at:
- Holds - You cannot register if you have any Registration holds. Contact the office that placed the hold to determine how you can remove it. Read about Holds.
- Student Status messages - You must be a current student with an Active status for the term. If you see these messages--"you have no registration time ticket," "you require readmission," "your status prevents registration,"--you must apply for admission or readmission before registering. (NOTE: When you skip a Fall or Spring term, your status changes to "Inactive" and you must be readmitted.)
If you are a degree-seeking student, you must be cleared to register by your advisor or advising unit. Otherwise, you will be blocked from registering by the "Alternate PIN" screen. Once your advisor clears you, you will not encounter this roadblock again. Visit Academic Advising for advising information.
Once Registration Opens
Login and Register
Register online through the myMemphis portal as early as possible for the best course selection; once you are in the portal, look for the Registration Tools portlet on your Student page. Also:
- Refer to the Registration Quick Guide for an overview of online registration.
- If you encounter problems trying to register, refer to our Errors and Problems page.
- If you need a permit to register for a particular section, refer to our Permits page.
- Print your personal class schedule after you have registered for classes. Check it for accuracy. Look especially at time, days, room, and campus location.
Pay your fees online (select your Account$ page in the portal), or pay in person at the Bursar's Office, 115 Wilder Tower. Refer to the Bursar's website for fee payment deadlines and other fee-related information, including fee payment methods, and possible refunds.
Before You Go To Class
Reprint and review your schedule just prior to the first day of classes: buildings and room numbers often need to be revised before classes start.